- My work has been selected for The Other Art Fair Brooklyn at the Brooklyn Expo Center in Greenpoint later this winter. Hope to see lots of my New York friends at my booth. More details coming in October.
- Soon I will be heading off to the Arctic Circle in a few weeks as part of the Arctic Circle Residency, while sailing around the Svalbard Archipelago in Norwegian territorial waters with fellow artists, writers and scientists, I will be working on my artist book,tentatively titled, From Deep South to Far North.
- Broken Glass, 2015, from the Secrets Scanned series will be part of Filter Photo festival's group show, Deception, curated by Brian Paul Clamp of ClampArt, in September of 2017 in Chicago.
- Stripes and Blight, 2016, will be part of the Gregory Harris Selects exhibition at the Atlanta Group Gallery during this fall's Atlanta Celebrates Photography festival.
- Tape Measure will be part of the Inspired Georgia exhibit this fall as images from the eponymous book travel to the Slow Exposures festival in Zebulon.
- Thrilled to be taking over Float Magazine's Instagram feed from August 24 - 27 - check out my posts at float_magazine.
- Thanks to Fraction's Bree Lamb for selecting Lollipops, 2017 for an Honorable Mention in LA Photo Curator's competition, Nothing Special in July 2017.
- Thanks to curator Yorgos Efthymiadis for choosing Smoke Break images for inclusion in Float Magazine's Bad Habits online exhibition up now at http://www.floatmagazine.us/bad-habits.
- Thanks to Jody Fausett and the great folks over at Idea Capitol for the write up on my current work: http://www.ideacapitalatlanta.org/blog/2017/5/29/gwvo8hxtg9cu7p31qnqu8x570sei61
- My photograph, Bent Tree Gradient, 2016, will be part of Line, a group show at the Attleboro Arts Museum in Attleboro, MA, from June 15 - July 15. Line was curated by Kelly Bennett, the Artist Fellowships Program Officer/Exhibitions Curator for the Massachusetts Cultural Council.
- The Gregg Museum of Art at North Carolina State University will be publishing a catalog, called Show and Tell: Celebrating the Collections of the Gregg Museum of Art & Design, this August to celebrate the re-opening of the museum. The museum was one of the first institutions to collect my work, so I am very pleased that Amy in her Backyard, Auburn, GA, 2005 will be one of the works selected for the publication.
- I am pleased that some of my new Marmoreal photographs will be included in Gathered III, a group exhibition of Georgia artists, held at MOCA GA from May 16 - July 1, 2017 in Atlanta. Please join me for the opening reception on Saturday, May 13, from 6:30- 8:30.
- Lunch Launch, 2008, from the Love and Rockets series will be part of Float Magazine's exhibition Space held at Littlefield in Brooklyn in June of 2017.
- A Novel Progression, 2016, was one of 98 photographs chosen by Bree Lamb out of 1700 submitted for inclusion in Fraction Magazine's 9th Annual issue, Issue 98. Thank you!
- I am very excited that curator Mark Sink has selected several prints from my new Marmoreal series to make their debut in the group exhibition, Between the Medium Seeing Photographically at the RedLine Contemporary Arts Center in Denver, CO, March 10 - April 9, 2017. RedLine is the hub for Denver's upcoming Month of Photography (MoP).
- Several images will also be part of The Big Picture, also curated by Mark Sink. The Big Picture web site describes this fascinating project: "This show of grand scale contemporary photography exposes the possibility of images as art via email instantly exchanged globally and blown up to large mural proportions. Images gathered from photographers around the world will be expanded as large Xerox prints and displayed inside galleries as well as posted in approved outdoor locations throughout the city of Denver and sister cities around the globe. The Big Picture ambassadors are gearing up to help this grand street art exchange happen. Paris France, Bondi Australia, Dozens of cities across the US including LA, Portland, Denver, NYC and Brooklyn NY, Venice Italy, Vienna Austria, Berlin Germany, London England, Bulgaria, Mexico City, Buenos Aires Argentina."
- My installation, The Empathy Experiment, has been accepted for inclusion in the upcoming ArtFields event in Lake City, South Carolina, which will be held from April 21-29, 2017. During this 9 day event, most of the town is converted into a series of galleries. With $100,000 in cash prizes given to artists from across the Southeast, ArtFields is the largest arts competition of its kind. Winners are determined by votes from ArtFields attendees and a juried panel of visual arts professionals. More information is available at http://www.artfieldssc.org/.
Winter 2016 - 2017
- Nice mention of my photograph, Tape Measure, in Suzanne Van Atten's Atlanta Journal Constitution review of Inspired Georgia, a newly published book at examines the state through photographs and poems. Living &Arts section, Sunday, December 11, 2016.
- Seven images from my Withdrawn series will be included in the Spartanburg Museum of Art's small group show In Other Words, which runs from January 19th - March 5, 2017, at the South Carolina museum. Please visit http://www.spartanburgartmuseum.org for more information.
- I will be participating in the annual Art Paper's auction on February 25 at Ponce City Market.
- The Crawling Backwards series will be shown at the Indigo Gallery, as part of a group show called Ultra Bright, in Athens, GA, from January 26 - April 9. Please join the artists for an opening reception on January 26, 2017 from 6:30-8:30 PM.
- The Geometry of Ginkos, 2016 will be part of a group show at Eastern Kentucky University called Order and Chaos, in the Fred Parker Giles Gallery, from January 23 - February 22, 2017.
- I will be participating in WonderRoot Art Center's reverse auction The Imaginary Million on December 9th at Le Fais do-do in Atlanta. The purpose of the auction is to subvert the traditional idea of the art auction, which benefit arts organizations but not always the artists themselves. The Imaginary Million is open to the public. Please come!
- The Paper series will be on display at the Puritan Mills center in Atlanta beginning in mid-September, 2016.
- My image, Secrets Scanned, 2014, was included in Inspired Georgia, a collection of poems and photographs by Georgia artists, that was published in the summer of 2016, by the University of Georgia Press. An exhibition and book signing will be held at the Westside Cultural Center on October 26, in Atlanta.
- Tina in her Bedroom, 2007 was awarded the Juror's Prize by The Loading Dock Gallery, in Lowell, MA, during the Alienation exhibition.
- Walthall Exhibition artist talk will take place at MOCA GA on September 7, 2016 at 6:30 PM.
- An image from my Smoke Break series, Steve Blows Smoke Rings in his Bedroom will be part of Edge to Edge at MOCA GA, from September 2-December 3, 2016. Edge to Edge is a survey of contemporary Georgia photography from all corners of the state. This image was purchased by the Massey Charitable Trust for the collection of The Museum of Modern Art Georgia.
- Tina Smoking in her Bed will be part of an exhibition called Alienation at The Loading Dock Gallery in Lowell, MA, from August 31 - September 25, 2016.
- Residency at Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences in September.
- The Walthall Fellows exhibition, I Opened My Eyes. I Changed My Mind, begins its run at MOCA GA on Thursday, July 14, 2016 with an opening reception from 6:30-8:30 pm at the Bennett Street location. The exhibition will be on view through September 10th.
- Bent Tree, Pink Gradient, 2016, is featured in Magic, an on-line exhibition at Float Magazine.
- I received an Idea Capital Grant to publish The Lookout, an artist book, comprised of found poetry and street photographs. Tentative publication date: spring 2017.
- I received the Lincoln Center of Fort Collins, Colorado's Annual Contemporary Art Survey $1,000 Grand Prize Award for the Smoke Break series, which was selected by critic Ray Mark Rinaldi.